Sunday, January 18, 2009

Twilight

I've jumped on the Twilight bandwagon. Very late I know, but I'm not one to jump on things straight away generally. It took until it was very talked about for my interest to spark.

I was lent the first book (thanks again Hayley!) and read it in 3 days. I really, really enjoyed it.
Considering how much it was about describing how in love Bella is with Edward, and repeated the effect he had on here a lot, I didn't find myself tiring of reading it. I really liked the characters, particularly the Cullen family.. (of course, as they are the most interesting.. being vampires and all.)

So then I decided to see the movie. I was warned that it was terrible. So I went in with my hopes low, and also with the book fresh in my mind - I was ready to judge the transition harshly.

I certainly would not call it terrible - it didn't compare to the books in my opinion. It was still entertaining and worth seeing. My friend Josh who watched it really enjoyed it, and we went straight to Borders to buy the book for him. So I guess it is different depending on if you've read the book or not. The things I said were lacking, Josh said he thought were there.

This is what I liked about the movie:

I really liked the casting of James, he was suitably creepy.

And also Jacob, very cute.

It moved at a quick pace, which I guess is a good thing, particularly for those who haven't read the book.

The Carlisle family were very good. Nikki Reid from Thirteen (one of my fave movies) was a nice surprise to see there, playing Rosalie.

I thought the graduation cap artwork at the Cullen house was funny (not in the book)

I liked the baseball scene mostly. Although they should've been miles more apart for more effect.

Jessica was funny and annoying and perfect.

This is what I thought the flaws in the movie were:

Although Bella and Edward are in love, not once does Bella describe (like in the book) just how ferocious and consuming her love for Edward is. How were heart stops when he touches her. How just looking at him takes her breath away. Yes they were in love, but it didn't seem to go beyond a normal love, when in the book it was a crazy, deep, passionate, longing love.

There wasn't the chemistry between B & E I thought there should have been. There was no gentle teasing, getting angry at each other, it was lacking oomph.

I didn't like Bella. I would say that is a big problem. I think she is a good protagonist in the book, she is definitely likeable. I don't think she is likeable in the movie. She delivers her lines as if she's confused, half asleep and indignant almost all of the time. She's not articulate at all. She's too huffy and annoying. And her manly voice didn't work for me.

They didn't develop the characters well. Bella was simply a girl who moved to Forks. You got that she was clumsy... and that's about it. Edward was played really well by Robert Pattison I thought, but Edward still didn't have the diverse personality he has in the book.

I also couldn't believe the cheesy sound effect when Edward sparkled in the sunlight - as if! It was so not necessary - so lame.


Keeping in mind though, the movie doesn't have to be the same as the book. I must remember that. I still enoyed it. How could I not.. have you seen how nice Robert Pattison is to look at?



Yes I've well and truly been bitten by the bug for Twilight. Terrible pun, sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment